Carsome, Southeast Asia’s largest integrated car e-commerce platform, which has launched its Carsome Insights 2021.
From the report released, we can see that Malaysia’s used car industry has been showing a significant growth in 2021 due to several contributing factors, which includes:
- Global supply chain disruptions and chip shortages which affected new car sales and contributed towards higher car prices
- Consumers leaning towards private car ownership over ride hailing services and public transport during the pandemic.
Carsome Insights 2021
With Malaysians continuing to see private car ownership as a necessity, Carsome are delighted to share Carsome Insights 2021 – a series of 12 infographics which reveals top trends and preferences among used car buyers, sellers and dealers in Malaysia.
Additionally, the key findings in the report include:
1. Insights Among Used Car Buyers
The average age of top car models consumers bought from Carsome is 4.7 years. More details to the buyers insights are as illustrated below:
- Perodua (41%) leads the most popular car brands among consumers, followed by Honda (23%) and Proton (18%
- Perodua Myvi (25%) is the preferred car model among consumers, followed by Proton Axia (17%) and Honda City (11%)
- White (28%) is the most popular car colour among consumers, followed closely by silver (24%) and gray (19%)
2. Insights Among Used Car Sellers
Similarly, the average age of top cars sold to Carsome is 4.7 years. Further details of the sellers insights are as listed below:
- Perodua is the most popular car brand among cars sold to Carsome, accounting for 35% of all vehicles, followed by Proton (24%) and Toyota (20%)
- Perodua Myvi (25% of transactions) is the most popular car model, followed by Proton Axia (17%) and Honda City (11%)
- White (30%) is the most popular car color sold to Carsome followed by gray (27%) and black (19%)
3. Insights Among Used Car Dealers
Meanwhile, the average age of most popular car models among used car dealers is 9.7 years. Other details among used car dealers are as below:
- Toyota (32%) is the preferred car brand among dealers, topping Perodua (22%), and Honda (20%)
- Perodua Myvi (21%) is the most popular car model among used car dealers. Toyota Vios (13%) is a distant second, followed by Honda City (11%).
- White (33%) is the most popular car color among used car dealers, followed by silver (24%) and black (21%)